The most important thing is getting the right date and setting up a reminder for when this is due.
If you have had a test with us before we will let you know through our reminder service.
Make sure you leave yourself plenty of time, there is nothing worse than rushing around last minute to do it. This is also detrimental if your vehicle fails its test and needs additional work.
In some cases you may need major work doing which can take a few days or longer to complete taking you over the expiry date of your MOT certificate. This will change the expiry date of your certificate and prevent the vehicle from being driven away from the garage.
Before taking your car to the garage, check these things:
- Check the vehicle identification number (VIN) is present and visible (it can be usually found where the dashboard meets the windscreen on the driver’s side).
- Have got all the keys (for the ignition, doors, boot and fuel cap).
- Check there is enough oil.
- Check there is enough screenwash.
- Check there is enough fuel.
- Set the headlight adjusters to ‘0’ (mention to your garage if you are not sure how to do this).
If you are not able to do these things, speak to us for further advice.